EMIS-R Financial Reporting Checklist
The submission process will be under district control rather than NWOCA's control. An authorized person in the district (EMIS Coordinator, Treasurer, etc.) will need to upload the flat files before running the data collection process and submitting the data to ODE.
Data Source: Some of the data for financial reporting will be pulled directly from your live USAS data, while other portions will be pulled from what EMIS-R calls "flat files". The financial "flat files" include USAEMS_EMISR.SEQ, EISEMS.SEQ (or capital asset EMISFFE flat file) which contain the data in a predefined format. The following lists the data types reported for financial reporting, and where the data will come from for EMIS-R:
Cash, Expenditure, Revenue accounts: USAS files
Operational Units: USAS files
Cash Reconciliation: Flat file (from USAEMS)
Federal Assistance Summary/Detail: Flat file (from USAEMS)
Civil Proceedings: Flat file (from USAEMS)
District/Building profile: Flat file (from USAEMS)
Capital Assets: Flat file (from EISEMS or EMIS-FFE)
Account data and OPU data being pulled directly from the USAS files will be pulled either from the current year data or from account history data depending on the timing of when the EMIS-R data collection is run.
With that being said, we strongly recommend districts hold off making any updates to their OPUs or accounts (i.e. ACTCHG/FNDCHG) in FY20 until AFTER they have completed their EMIS-R reporting for FY19 Period H.
Uploading a Flat File in EMIS-R Data Collector:
- Step 18 of the USAS FYE closing has you email the USAEMS_EMSR.SEQ file as an attachment to yourself. You can forward the email to the district person responsible for uploading the file into EMIS-R.
|If you are responsible, save the attached file somewhere on your computer|
- Access and log into the EMIS-R data collector website. If you are unsure or do not have an account, please contact our EMIS department for further information.
- Once you are logged in, click on the Data Sources Tab at the top right-hand side of the screen.
- Click on "Other Data Sources"
- Locate the Data Source for the Financial period (may be named "Financial") and click on "Manage" The flat files from last year may be retained in the financial data source record. Please delete them before uploading your flat files for FY19.
- Click "Upload File" to select the financial flat file currently stored on your computer (i.e. USAEMS_EMISR.SEQ or EISEMS.SEQ or EMISFFE capital asset file)
- Browse to the file on your computer you want to upload into EMIS-R and click Open. Then click on "Upload". You can only upload one file at a time. Please repeat the upload procedure to upload multiple files.
|The financial files you will be uploading for period H include USAEMS_EMISR.SEQ and EISEMS.SEQ (or capital asset file from EMISFFE).|
This completes the uploading of a file into EMIS-R.
Collecting Financial Data in the EMIS-R Data Collector:
- Click on the "Collection Requests" tab in the data collector and locate the Financial (period H) manifest. Use the 'Collection Request' drop down to filter on just Period H. Click on "Start Collection".
- Make sure both SIF Zone and correct data source (Financial) are checked. Then click on "Start Data Collection for all items checked below".
|Remember your SIF Zone contains your cash, expenditure, revenue and operational unit data. The Financial data source contains the data from USAEMS_EMISR.SEQ, EISEMS.SEQ or EMISFFE capital asset file.|
- Click the "Collection Status" tab to check the status of your current collection
- Once the collection is 'complete', click on the "Collection Request Tab" and then click on "Prepare" (under the Financial manifest) to prepare the collection for review.
- The system will display a “preparation status page” while it processes. Once complete, click on “OK”. If the collected data encountered errors/warnings, a message will display with a direct link to the Level 1 Validation Report.. If the errors warrant changes to be made in the source system, you will need to start the process over with uploading the corrected file and then re-collecting the data.
- Click on the "Collection Request" tab and then click on 'Preview' to view the data collected.
- Checkmark the Detail, a File Format of "CSV" and an 'Include in CSV Files' option. Click on 'Generate Preview'.
- It will display a list of the records included in the collection. Scan the valid column to ensure all the correct data types are being reported for your district. Scan the "invalid" column for any records with invalid data. If you double-click on a record type listed, it will display the details of the record via EXCEL
|When viewing a record type via EXCEL, a column labeled "Record is Valid" indicates whether or not the record will be included in the submission.|
Submitting the Financial Data to ODE
- Once you determine the data is ready to be submitted to ODE, click on the "Collection Requests" tab and then click on "Certify and Submit".
- Checkmark the "I certify this collection" box. Add any comments if desired.
- Click on "Certify & Submit" at the bottom left-hand side of the screen. The data will then be submitted to ODE.
- To review the status of your submission, click on the "Submission" tab. Click on the arrow to the left of the Financial reporting period to display the current status of the submissions you processed.
- A 'Preparing Submission' status indicates the data collector is preparing to submit the data to ODE.
- A 'Transmission Completed' status indicates the submission has been received but has not yet been processed by ODE.
Post Submission Status
- The 'Submission Status' can be viewed at any time under the "Collection Requests" tab to show what has happened to the submission at the state level after ODE's report collector has received it. Here is a list of possible Submission Status':
- Not Started—this status appears between when the Data Collector submits a submission and when the Report Collector receives it.
- Received—this status confirms that the Report Collector received the submission.
- Report processing failed—this status indicates that the Report Collector encountered errors, and not all the data in the submission was able to reach its final destination.
- Pending Acceptance—this status indicates that the submitted data is about to undergo Level 2 validation. It means that all of the data in the submission successfully reached its final destination.
- Processed with Errors—this status indicates that a Level 2 validation was run, and some Level 2 validation errors were found. Please review the report for any possible FATAL errors.
- Processed Successfully—this status indicates that a Level 2 validation was run, and no Level 2 validation errors were found
- Once the submission has been 'processed successfully', click on the "View Submission Results" link under the Collection Requests tab to view detailed information about the report processing, including the final status for each of your submissions.
Be sure to check any and all reports that are returned from ODE in regards to Period H submissions. They will be available on a "Level 2 Validation' link on the Financial Manifest. You can also access the 'Reports' tab in the data collector, click on "Level 2 Reports' link, filter for FY19-H-Financial and click on 'show reports' to generate and review the reports from ODE. There is a guide under ODE’s EMIS Validation and Report Explanations page called “Expenditure Detail Report (EXPD-001)” that explains the below reports in more detail.