NWOCA-USPS Quarter-End Closing Procedure
This procedure outlines the steps to be taken to close the USPS quarter-end.
- 1) Run the RETIRE program
- A) Select the SERSREG option. Choose to NOT create the tape file.
- B) Verify that the total contribution amounts listed on the report equal the total deduction checks for SERS withholdings plus any warrant checks written for pick-up on pick-up.
- C) Verify that contributions by employee equal earnings times the applicable retirement percentage. Allow for rounding (within a few cents).
- D) Review service credit days for all employees on the report.
- E) Once satisfied that the data is correct, run the program again and answer YES to create the tape file to clear totals and create the submission file (SERS.YYMM).
- F) Contact NWOCA via email (email@example.com) and inform them that your SERS file has been created
- 2) Complete and submit the SERS monthly report and payments as required.
- 3) Verify that paperwork has been completed for employees listed on the report as "new".
- 4) Balance the payroll account (when statement is received from bank).
- A) Run CHKSTA to reconcile checks
- B) Run CHKSTS option of the USPRPT program to generate an outstanding check register.
- 5) Run BENACC if applicable
- 6) Run QRTRPT selecting the demand option (N).
- 7) In the "Totals" section of QRTRPT, the gross and adjusted gross should balance using a manual calculation
Adjusted gross calculated
NOTEThe Adjusted gross calculated should equal the adjusted gross amount from QRTRPT. This should be true for all adjusted gross figures in the "Totals" section.
- 8) All deduction checks for the quarter should equal the total deductions showing on QRTRPT. Be sure to verify the electronic transfers of federal and Medicare payments as well. This should be true for every deduction code
- 9) The total gross showing on QRTRPT should equal the total of all payroll clearance checks created during CHKUPD for the quarter.
- 10) It is recommended that you balance the W2REPT quarterly to minimize problems at calendar year-end.
- A) Run W2PROC. Check the W2ERR.TXT report for errors.
- B) Complete and balance the W2REPT Reconciliation Worksheet for the quarter following the directions on the Worksheet.
- C) Balance the deduction totals (taxes and annuities) on the W2REPT.TXT report with the totals from the DEDRPT.TXT reports from the quarter
- D) Balance the gross amounts on the W2REPT.TXT report with PAYRPT.TXT reports for the quarter
NOTEThese amounts may not balance due to the way W2PROC handles certain amounts (e.g. Medicare pickup)
- E) If errors are discovered, check employees that had exception processing during the quarter such as voided checks, error adjustments, or manual changes in USPSCN. The AUDRPT program can be useful in identifying these problems
- 11) Run PAYDED, to generate a non-zero deduction listing. To do so, set the "Payment Option" to A, leaving the "Pay Cycle" and "Deduction Codes" fields blank. On DEDRPT.TXT, verify that there are no outstanding deduction amounts.
- 12) The total of all board paid amounts (if tracked on the system) should equal the total of all warrant checks to the vendor or deduction company.
- 13) Complete and file any required quarter-end submission forms.
- 14) For city withholdings, take the total gross times the percentage to be sure the tax withheld and submitted are correct.
NOTEMobile employees could cause discrepancies.
- 15) Run ODJFSRPT setting the "Create a submission file" to N to generate a report only
- A) Check all totals carefully for accuracy. If necessary, adjustments can be made using USPSCN/ATDSCN.
- 16) When all data is correct, run ODJFSRPT again, this time indicating that you want to create a tape file for submission.
- A) Send an email to NWOCA personnel (firstname.lastname@example.org) indicating that you have created the ODJFS tape file.
- 17) Only if hard copies of quarter end reports are desired, run the following:
- USRPT/EMPMST (all data)
- USPRPT/ERNSUM (all data for the quarter) – condensed version of ERNREG (170 column report)
- ERNREG – (all data for the quarter)
- QRTRPT – (all data –demand report)
- 18) Run QRTRPT again, this time clearing all data for the quarter (Option Q)
You are now ready to proceed with payroll for the new quarter.