This procedure outlines the steps to be taken to close the USAS fiscal year.
The following procedures can be completed any time prior to starting fiscal year end closing.
1. Run the program VALACT
This insures that no invalid accounts exist in your master account file at this point. If invalid accounts do exist, they should be eliminated via the ACTCHG program by changing them to valid account codes.
Fatal messages will prevent USAEMS from generating the .SEQ output file so they MUST be cleaned up. Any accounts with $0 in all amount fields will be listed as a warning and may be ignored.
2. The Building Profile, Central office square footage and ITC IRN information must be entered in the USAEMSDB program. The building profile includes information to report the correct square footage, bussing percentages, and lunchroom percentages for each building in your district. The district profile includes information to report the central office square footage for your district.
- DSTMNT - EMIS District Info Maintenance - Central Office Square Footage and ITC IRN (NWOCA IRN=086496)
- BLDMNT - EMIS Building Info Maintenance - transportation and lunchroom percentages and correct square footage fields
- You can generate a building report by running option 3 BLDRPT
3. Run EMISFCAT report to check the EMIS fund categories on your cash accounts. Make any necessary updates using ACTSCN or USASWeb/Accounts
- The category defines the FUND/SCC describing what type of fund it is for EMIS year-end financial data processing and is required for funds that have multiple sources of revenue as defined in the biennial budget.
4. Run OPULST to review your OPUs and make sure your IRN numbers and Entity types are correct. Use USASWeb/Configuration - OPUS or OPUEDT to make changes.All OPUs must have an IRN within your district
You have the option to run an early collection before closing June in order to validate accounts and for MOE
Run an early collection of your financial data in EMIS-R with the option to submit to ODE
- Enter "2019" in the fiscal year prompt of the USAEMSEDT - Federal Assistance Summary Option
- Run USAEMS and use UEMS_EMAIL to email the file to yourself. Upload into EMIS-R
- Collect and prepare your data in the data collector to check for bad or missing values.
- Optionally submit the data to ODE in order to receive reports back from ODE
- Make any necessary corrections before closing out June
- 5. If you planned to use the NYPMASS, NYPMNT, or NYPLOAD of the APPROP program to enter your proposed budgets and revenue estimates, this must be completed before running ADJUST to close the fiscal year. Otherwise, you can use IABMASS, IABMNT, or IABLOAD of the APPROP program once you have closed for the fiscal year.
6. Check the "Track accounts payable" flag in USASDAT/USACON and make sure it is set to "Y".Make sure you enter correct received dates when processing invoices during the summer months. This will allow an accurate accounts payable (PAYABL) report to be generated later for GAAP reporting purposes.
- 7. Enter all transactions for the current month
8. Attempt to reconcile USAS records with your bank(s):
Perform Bank Reconciliation Procedure
In the USAEMSEDT program, option 1, enter your cash reconciliation information
Run BALCHK , and Outstanding PODETL reports
- Examine the MTD, YTD, and FYTD expenditure lines on BALCHK report (dollar amounts for cash, budget, & approp. accts should all be identical for each line on report)
- Examine the MTD, YTD, and FYTD revenue lines on BALCHK report (dollar amounts for cash and revenue accounts should be identical for each line on report)
- Compare Current Encumbered totals from the BALCHK and Outstanding PODETL reports. They should be identical…….. if not execute the FIXENC to correct and regenerate BALCHK and compare totals. If the totals still do not balance contact NWOCA personnel for assistance.
Run FINSUMM, selecting "Y" to generate the FINDET report for comparison.
- This will cause the FINDET report to be generated with identical selection criteria as the FINSUMM and will determine if it balances with FINSUMM.
- The total will display on the screen when run is complete. Compare the total from the FINDET and FINSUMM, they should be identical
If all above steps are performed and totals all agree, you are in balance and may proceed.
- 9. *****Optional Step (SM1/SM2) ****** From your *NORMAL account, run the SM2CALC program. The SM2CALC calculates the SM2 for the month, print the resulting report.
10. Log into your "B" account and at the menu prompt enter the command:
BEWARE of anything the computer displays on your screen which contains the word "error"
THIS IS AN ERROR CONDITION AND THE USER SHOULD INFORM NWOCA IMMEDIATELY
Provided no messages appear in the form described above, the user may proceed
11. Log into your "B" account and at the menu prompt enter the command:You will be prompted whether you want to generate the reports for NOW or LATER. (NOW would cause it to run immediately and LATER will run at night.) We recommend LATER to relieve load on the system during the day.
Please IGNORE the message at the end of the MONTHLYCD program that tells you to wait to run ADJUST until after MONTHLYCD has completed. This message is there for the benefit of the majority of the districts around the state who do not utilize monthly copy accounts. As long as you run MONTHLYCD from your "B" account you can set it run for later and still run ADJUST from your live account immediately
Upon completion of MonthlyCD you will receive an email message in your "B" account; the reports will be accessible via the following URL:
-xx meaning the two character abbreviation used for your districts archive account
- 12. Please verify that the reports appear on the web page and are correct.
- 13. Generate any additional month-end reports from your "B" account
14. Log into your NORMAL account and run the ADJUST program.
- Indicate to the program that you desire to perform month end processing and you are indeed completed with processing for that month. The ADJUST program will also automatically calculate your SM2 for the month.
YOU MUST NOT BE RUNNING ANY OTHER PROGRAMS FROM YOUR NORMAL ACCOUNT DURING THIS PROCESS (THAT INCLUDES THE WEB AND PAYROLL PROGRAMS!)
Fiscal Year-End Closing
15. Run ADJUST from your NORMAL account
- Select the "Year-End" option and run for "FISCAL"
Once you have completed the above steps, you have completely closed your NORMAL account for June and can begin processing for July.
16. Run the USAEMSEDT program - from your "B" account
An update has been made to the USAEMSEDT program back in FY2016 per AOS bulletin 2015-004, the Single Audit threshold has been updated from $500,000 to $750,000 in the Federal Assistance Summary option. Be sure your Federal Assistance Summary record is set properly. Below is a screenshot of changing the flag on the Federal Assistance Summary record.
- Remember you must complete/enter each option 1-4 of the USAEMSEDT program even if you have no data for that particular section.
- Create and check the report for each option
- CSHREC.TXT - Cash Reconciliation
- FEDSUM .TXT - Federal Assistance Summary
- FEDDET.TXT - Federal Assistance Detail
- CVLPRC.TXT - Civil Proceedings
17. Run the USAEMS program if you are satisfied with the accuracy of the reports. From your "B" account
- Answer "N" to "Are you extracting for an Information Technology Center?" If no errors are encountered, two .SEQ files will be created containing the necessary financial data for EMIS reporting. An email message will also be automatically sent to the EMIS staff as well as the Fiscal staff indicating the file has been created and is ready to be loaded.
- If no errors are encountered, the USAEMS_EMISR.SEQ file will be created containing the necessary financial data for EMIS-R reporting.
NWOCA does not validate/load your financial data into EMIS. EMIS-R is used to submit financial data and is under district control. An authorized person in the district (EMIS Coordinator, Treasurer, etc.), with the correct EMIS-R role, uploads the financial data into EMIS-R, runs the data collection process, and submits the financial data to ODE.
18. Run the UEMS_EMAIL from your "B" account
For information on how to upload the financial flat file into EMIS-R please, refer to the "NWOCA Financial checklist"
19. Run the USASAUD program from your "B" account
- Answer "Y" to the question "Send data to AOS now." This program will take information from the Account Master, Vendor, Check, and Receipt files and create 3 new data files, ACCTAUD.SEQ, VENDAUD.SEQ, and TRANAUD.SEQ, do not print. It will also generate and send a summary FINSUMM by fund. (.TXT files of this data will also be generated.)
- 20. Perform Fiscal Year-End copy from your "B" account
Log into your "B" account at the menu prompt enter the command:
21. Log into your "B" account and at the menu prompt enter the command:
Please IGNORE the message at the end of the FISCALCD program that tells you to wait to run ADJUST until after FISCALCD has completed. This message is there for the benefit of the majority of the districts around the state who do not utilize monthly copy accounts.
Upon completion of FISCAL CD you will receive an email message in your "B" account; the reports will be accessible via the following URL:
-xx meaning the two character abbreviation used for your districts archive account
- 22. Please verify that the reports appear on the web page and are correct.
- 23. Send email to email@example.com if you would like the reports from the MONTHLYCD and/or FISCALCD placed on CDROM.
- Please specify if you would like ONLY your FISCALCD reports placed on CDROM or BOTH your MONTHLYCD and FISCALCD reports to be placed on CDOM.
24. The GAAP_EXP option of USAEXP should be run at this time from your NORMAL account, if you use the Web-GAAP system for GASB34 reporting.
25. Submit your financial data via EMIS-R.Please refer to the NWOCA Financial Checklist for more information on submitting your data via EMIS-R